Dental fear is a very real problem for millions of people around the world. It is a fear of dentists and/or dental procedures that can be so intense that it can prevent people from seeking and receiving the dental care they need.
At Redbank Dental Centre, it is our aim to help you overcome your fears and go on to receive the dental treatment and care that you need.
Six Tips You Can Use to Help Overcome Dental Fears:
- Talk to Us – Let us know about your dental fears. At Redbank Dental Centre we recommend that you book in for a check-up appointment, talk to your Oral Health Professional about your fears and we can help you work through them. Unless you are suffering a dental emergency, it is best to avoid booking any treatment on your initial appointment. Remember, we’re here to help, and we’re on your side!
- Try Relaxation Techniques – Deep breathing exercises can help to calm your mind and body – whenever you start to feel overly anxious, focusing on slowing your breathing will really help!
- Take a Friend or Family Member with You – Find a friend or family member who has the time to accompany you. We find that just having someone there that you can talk to while you are on the way to your appointment and while you are waiting in our reception area can make a significant difference to the way that you feel. Here at Redbank Dental Centre we are happy to be able to offer evening and/or Saturday appointments which will likely help you find someone able to accompany you.
- Distractions – If your main fear is going through with dental treatment once you have arrived at our dental practice, you might like to try some distraction techniques. Popular distraction techniques that have proven to be effective for other people include listening to music, playing with a stress ball or watching programs on our ceiling mounted televisions.
- Remembering You Are In Control – Want us to stop? Simply put your hand up! This signals us to stop. Our team at Redbank Dental Centre are here to work with you and help you gain the confidence to become one of our RDC patient family! We are happy to book you longer appointments and give you time to take breaks as necessary to help you receive the dental care you need!
- Sedation Options – For some people, a form of sedation may be the only solution in the short term. For example, if you are in need of emergency dental treatment you may need to consult your dentist about the possibility of some form of sedation to relax you to the point where you are able to undergo the treatment in question without too much stress. At Redbank Dental Centre we have several inhalation sedation options, including Penthrox and Happy Gas*, if this is something you are likely to wish to make use of, please discuss this with our friendly reception team when booking your appointment.
If you would like to book an appointment with one of our friendly dental professionals, please call us on 3432 3333 and our lovely reception team can find a time that suits you!
* Some forms of inhalation sedation require you to be accompanied by someone able to drive you home and stay with you for a period of time after your appointment.